- You are a strong communicator and take pride in explaining complex technical concepts to peers, including non-technical team members.
- You are comfortable in a collaborative environment, expressing opinions and asking questions.
- You are committed to good practices for continuous delivery including code reviews, testing and documentation.
- You have experience working with web apps using multiple locales & languages.
- You have experience working within a cross-functional team solving complex business problems.
- You are a motivated and organised person. You enjoy the process of prioritising work and setting timelines while collaborating with cross-functional teams.
- You’re resourceful, resilient, and flexible, and will help clear the path for everyone to do their best work.
- You are an excellent communicator who can build relationships with teammates from different disciplines, making sure that everyone is clear about what’s required of them.
- You’re fluent in English, even if it’s not your first language.
- Familiarity with some of the rest of our tech stack including PostgreSQL, Docker, AWS and microservice architecture.
- Experience in scale-up environments.
- You are motivated by Piclo’s mission to make our energy system smart, flexible and clean. Experience working in the energy industry would be a bonus.
- You are naturally empathic, and are always mindful of the humans who use and benefit from your work.
- £55-76k, with standard share options
- 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays)
- 35 hour week - with flexible working hours (within core business hours)
- Hybrid working - with a minimum requirement to come into the office twice per month, to meet with your team
- Life Assurance, Income Protection and private Healthcare with Vitality (medical history disregarded)
- A monthly expense budget for the extra kit or tools you might need to get your job done to the best of your abilities at home
- Annual allowance to spend on professional development
- Regular off-site - where the whole company gets together
- A super welcoming, supportive, collaborative and transparent culture where the priority is to help shape your role to find the best balance between what we need as a business and your career progression plans.
- Introductory call: we’ll invite you for a short video call to discuss your experience and what you’re looking for in your next role.
- Challenge: If successful, applicants will be invited to complete a challenge relevant to the skills required in your role
- Final interview: if successful, applicants will then be invited to a final, in-depth interview to meet additional members of the team
London, England - United Kingdom
Fullstack Job Details
The climate crisis means that now, more than ever, we need to act. Here at Piclo, we believe we are not powerless against climate change and are focused on enabling the transition to a decarbonised future. Our team is on a mission to make our energy systems smart, flexible and sustainable.
We’re hiring a Software Engineer to work alongside our friendly team of software developers, product managers, designers and more that are at the forefront of transforming the energy sector.
Who we are looking for
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to work on our core product - Piclo Flex. Our software stack comprises a single-page app and a backend composed of several microservices running on a serverless infrastructure.
You’ll be joining the Markets team, where we work on connecting the two sides of our marketplace. You will be part of initial discovery sessions, right through to delivery. The Markets team’s responsibilities include ensuring that we’re collecting the right information at the right time, as well as surfacing the right opportunities to our customers as the industry grows.
In a typical week, you’ll be involved in writing and reviewing code as well as taking part in and influencing the discovery and scoping of new features, working alongside a cross-functional team of developers, designers and product managers.
Although requirements are important, please bear in mind that we don’t always look for every box being ticked but rather what you can bring to the team.
Our ideal candidate meets many - but not necessarily all - of the below criteria:
What we can offer
Who we are
Founded in 2013 by Andy, Alice and James, we are a quickly growing team of +40. Backed by Clean Growth Fund and Mott MacDonald Ventures, Piclo is a tech company poised to disrupt the way that electricity grids are run worldwide.
Piclo Flex is the leading independent marketplace that enables technologies, such as electric vehicles, to provide flexibility to electricity grids. With the rise in demand for renewables and clean technologies, our grids come under more stress and face challenges in maintaining the delicate balance of supply and demand. Piclo Flex smooths out the complex transition, delivering low-cost and resilient grids.
We know “flexibility” can be quite complex to understand at first, here’s a short video that explains “what are flexibility services?”
Our team welcomes everyone to work together on our mission. We don’t believe that anyone should be discriminated against for any reason, be that age, nationality, gender, race, sexual preferences, religious beliefs, political leanings or disabilities. We welcome diversity among our colleagues and see it as important that everyone is supported and comfortable working with us. Piclo are expanding internationally, as such, English doesn’t have to be your first language but we would like you to be fluent.
How to apply and interview process
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Software Engineer’ in the subject line (or click the Apply button below) and tell us about your skills and experience, and why you think you’d be a good fit for this role.
Please include either a copy of your CV, the URLs for your personal site or Linkedin profile, as well as URLs to any relevant public repositories that might support your application. Please note that, at this stage, we’re more interested in hearing why you think you’re a good match for us and the role.
We conduct interviews in three stages