- Work closely with your fellow engineers to ensure that Square is delivering remarkable experiences to end-users;
- Develop engineering designs and implementations of impactful end-user product features;
- Maintain existing services and help them scale and improve to meet the ever-changing needs of merchants;
- Help the team iterate on existing and establish new engineering patterns and processes to ensure an efficient development cycle.
- Excellent software engineering aptitude and a product mindset;
- 2+ years professional experience working on web application backend systems in Java, Go, or Ruby;
- Experience modeling data and working with relational databases;
- Experience with or interest in learning about AWS or other cloud computing platforms;
- Strong communication skills and a strong desire to deliver a great product;
- A strong sense of customer empathy and an interest in influencing the product direction.
- Java / Guice / MySQL / Protocol Buffers / gRPC / JUnit
- AWS - Terraform, S3, SNS, SQS, IAM
- CDN - Fastly, CloudFront
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Seattle, WA - United States of America
Fullstack Job Details
Since we opened our doors in 2009, the world of commerce has evolved immensely, and so has Square. After enabling anyone to take payments and never miss a sale, we saw sellers stymied by disparate, outmoded products and tools that wouldn’t work together.
To solve this problem, we expanded into software and built integrated solutions to help sellers sell online, manage inventory, book appointments, engage loyal buyers, and hire and pay staff. Across it all, we’ve embedded financial services tools at the point of sale, so merchants can access a business loan and manage their cash flow in one place. Afterpay furthers our goal to provide omnichannel tools that unlock meaningful value and growth, enabling sellers to capture the next generation shopper, increase order sizes, and compete at a larger scale.
Today, we are a partner to sellers of all sizes – large, enterprise-scale businesses with complex operations, sellers just starting, as well as merchants who began selling with Square and have grown larger over time. As our sellers grow, so do our solutions. There is a massive opportunity in front of us. We’re building a significant, meaningful, and lasting business, and we are helping sellers worldwide do the same.
The Square Point of Sale (SPOS) helps our merchants simplify their business processes and day-to-day work, and makes it easy to sell in person, over the phone, or out in the field. It's free to use, and there's no training. This is a critical product for the Square ecosystem.
As a Full-Stack Software Engineer on the New Segments team, you will report to the Engineering Lead and working on a team of mobile and full stack engineers focused on building new SPOS features for the emerging markets and expanding the international footprint of the product.
To learn more about Point of Sale:
As a Full-Stack Engineer on the team, you will:
Technologies we use:
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
Additionally, we consider qualified applicants with criminal histories for employment on our team, and always assess candidates on an individualized basis.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.