In WA, AZ, TX, IL, GA or MD
- Job type
ThriftBooks is the world's largest used book retailer! We believe in a workplace where respect for our employees matters, where promoting from within is how we grow, and where safety comes first in all our decisions and planning. At ThriftBooks, your work will help get inexpensive books into the hands of people who need them instead of going into landfill. We strive to create a friendly work environment with high standards of performance and rewards for excellence. We started out small and remember that encouraging people to do their best is how we expanded to our current scale.
If you want to learn about the intersection of technology, innovation, and good old-fashioned teamwork, we might be a good fit for you. Wherever you start in the company, our hope is that is a launching point to higher achievement. At ThriftBooks, your success is up to you.
ThriftBooks is looking for a Web Application Developer to help extend, refine, and maintain our primary customer-facing eCommerce application. This person will work in an open, collaborative environment with on our existing friendly, driven web development team.
- Build website application layer using .NET/C# MVC and SQL Server
- Optimize web applications for maximum speed and scalability gather and define
- Help requirements on new projects
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in website development with .NET/C# MVC
- Understanding of relational databases – multi-table querying, grouping, optimization, design
- Familiarity with the “full stack” of web development (back-end, front-end and design and how they interact)
- Good understanding of version control systems, such as Git
- Experience with an object-oriented language and object-oriented concepts
- Experience with responsive or adaptive front-end web development. Especially optimizing for a mobile experience.
- Genuinely excited about technology, have a strong interest in learning about and building compelling web applications and UIs with the latest technologies
What to Expect at ThriftBooks
- Stability: We've been in business for 18 years. We have 1,000+ employees across the country. We are profitable and growing.
- Nice Commute: We are currently remote full-time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The development team is mostly located in the Seattle area, but a long-term remote position in WA, AZ, TX, IL, GA, or MD are options.
- Visibility: We are small enough that you will see how your contributions directly affect the bottom line of the business.
- Technology: We are both a web company (thriftbooks.com), and a logistics company (managing millions of books in 7 distribution centers across the country). We sell in a market that is very competitive and we use technology as a competitive advantage.
- Flexibility: We have flexible work schedules and offer 3 weeks of annual paid vacation to start.
- Organization: We've all been at companies where everything is a fire drill. ThriftBooks is not that company.
- Opportunities to Grow: We encourage learning. We give ourselves time (and resources) to take in-person or online classes or explore new technologies. That time is baked into every sprint. We try new ideas and we keep the ones that work.
- Software Process Maturity: We use TFS and Git to manage our work. We run on well-defined 2-week sprints. We focus on code coverage, build when we check in, and have automated releases for our applications. These are small things, but they matter.